In Philadelphia, Congregation Keneseth Israel was founded in 1847, the congregation gathered in many places. KI’s first home was on N. 2nd Street. The congregation met in the living room its founding president Julius Stern.
One year later, in 1848, the congregation rented a hall on N. 5th and Wood St. KI remained at this location for four years.
In 1852, the congregation rented a building, formerly a church, at New Market above Noble. Later, in 1854 KI purchased this building and then rededicated and consecrated it as a synagogue. In 1864, KI sold the New Market Street building to Congregation Adath Jeshurun, now located in Elkins Park, not far from Keneseth Israel.
In 1864, during the Civil War, KI built an impressive Temple on N. 6th Street above Brown. The Labor Lyceum bought the 6th St. building and transformed the space into a major center of Union and left-wing political activity in Philadelphia.
The congregation then purchased the land on N. Broad street between Montgomery and Columbia Aves. finished building the new synagogue in 1892. Rabbi Krauskopf inaugurated KI’s new synagogue on N. Broad Street below Montgomery Streets in 1893.
In 1951, Ki agreed to sell the N. Broad Street synagogue to Temple University. It wasn’t until 1959 that the congregation of Keneseth Israel officially moved to its present location on Old York Road and Township Line in Elkins Park.